A bit disappointed

Discuss EarMaster, ear training, theory or music in general, ask questions and share your experience.

Moderator: Quentin

Plibken
Ear training apprentice

A bit disappointed

Post by Plibken » Jul 17, 2012 4:06 am

Hi,

After hearing a lot of positive feedback on the program I decided to give it a go, but I felt a bit left down when I found out that as with all the other programs for ear training, this is more of an "ear training exam".

In my opinion, one should listen extensively to intervals first and sing along to get them established in your ears.

I am missing the tools in this program to do this. For example intervals or chords being played on an ascending or descending chromatic scale and singing along.

Now it feels a bit like going to a multiple choice exam without preparation, getting my (bad) results, trying to figure out what I did wrong, and retrying the exam over and over again.

You should add exercises to prepare for the exam...

Peter

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Jul 17, 2012 7:31 am

Hi,
Being able to listen to the intervals before getting started is being planned for the future. But contrary to most ear trainers, which are indeed simple multiple-choice quizes, EarMaster lets you sing and play your answers: sing intervals, scales, melodies, or clap rhythms. It also gives you instant feedback and lets you review your answer (listening to the correct and wrong answer, etc.). That way, it is possible to really internalize the sounds, as you mentioned, which is absolutely essential to acquiring better aural skills.
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -

Plibken
Ear training apprentice

Post by Plibken » Jul 17, 2012 8:02 am

Hi Quentin,

Thanks for the fast reply.

I suppose I was a bit too fast to compare ear master with the other programs. The additional features are indeed of great value.

I'm happy to hear that exercises will be included in the future. If they could be made available on the go (portable), that would be great. I try to sing intervals while on the move, but I need some reference while singing.

Regards,

Peter

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Jul 18, 2012 7:45 am

Yes, we would also love to make a version for mobile devices, and it si very likely to happen in the future.
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -