EarMaster Wishlist thread

Discuss EarMaster, ear training, theory or music in general, ask questions and share your experience.

Moderator: Quentin

frwe07
Ear training rookie

Hi!

Post by frwe07 » Jan 10, 2012 7:04 am

I would be terribly happy if you made an Andriod version so you could use Earmaster on the phone. There are several apps out there right now, with Perfect Ear Pro possibly being the most like Earmaster so far but the quality difference is humongous.

tkdgns
Ear training rookie

Post by tkdgns » Jan 16, 2012 1:08 am

I would like to see an option in interval identification where, rather than successive pairs of notes, you're given a continuous stream of single notes, and for every new note you have to identify the interval between it and the previous note. This would be better training for 'intervallic hearing'—hearing each and every interval in a melody, not just in isolated pairs of notes. It would also be much easier to get into a 'flow' with this option, and this would facilitate learning. Two other features that would help this would be 1) keyboard shortcuts for every interval, and 2) the option to require different inputs for ascending vs. descending intervals. Even if it seems obvious whether a given interval is ascending or descending, having the same input for both does in some sense 'train' the user to conflate the two.

The next step would be 'N-back' options. In 2-back, for each new note, you would identify the interval between it and the second-to-last note; in 3-back, the third-to-last note, and so on. Adjacent intervals are not the only intervals that matter in melodies (think of the tritone between the first and third notes of the theme from The Simpsons). N-back training would help with recognizing those 'hidden' intervals in melodies.

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Jan 16, 2012 3:52 am

Hi,
Actually the first of your suggestions can already be achieved with the Melodic Dictation exercise where, to input the notes of the melody, you can interval shortcuts (See the HELP menu of EarMaster to find the interval shortcuts). Writing down a melody is then done by entering the successive intervals.
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -

tkdgns
Ear training rookie

Post by tkdgns » Jan 17, 2012 2:09 am

Thanks for the tip about keyboard shortcuts. But it looks like there are only shortcuts for diatonic intervals. What about when I'm in chromatic scale mode, and I need to differentiate between e.g. major and minor intervals?

MathTeacher
Ear training enthusiast

Post by MathTeacher » Jan 29, 2012 12:37 am

For the inteval exercise settings (especially for harmonic), please allow the lower limit for the root to be at least one octave lower than is currently allowed. There are a lot of low bass notes we hear in every type of music.

phrygian
Ear training enthusiast

Post by phrygian » Mar 27, 2012 11:38 am

Nowadays beginner and professional musicians are building their own home recording studios and they are the ones who record their music, mix and master their tracks. In view of this, I would like to suggest that you will include a new lesson "frequency Identification" which will help us to do our mixing and mastering better. thank you.

Flanger
Ear training rookie

Post by Flanger » Sep 22, 2012 8:36 am

One addition: earmaster.com needs a flattr button !

What is flattr ? This: http://youtu.be/9zrMlEEWBgY

It's not a secret, that all software is freely available on the i-net;
It's a side effect of the i-net, which can't be avoided...
but it's something which you can benefit of directly:
The EarMaster series is plain AWESOME; it enthralls many people
all over the world and is highly appreciated.
Who appreciates the EarMaster series is willing to pay,
but not all of the users bought it; who didn't buy it, has no
opportunity to give the developers money, although they would
like to. So, there is a lot of unused potential to re-finance this project.

You seriously should try harder to get money out of the free user
community without fighting them by offering them the opportunity
to donate money to you.

You should place a flattr button on earmaster.com for this.
That makes it extremely easy and comfortable to give you
something back, if one feels like this irrespective of how
one got your programs; and that is just, what it needs nowadays...

It would undermine your selling model in absolutely no way, but only
would be one constructive addition, which only can have none or a positive
effect on your earnings.

There are many software groups, who have chosen this way and it works
well for them; here are some examples: Another good idea would be to use crowdsourcing for pre-financing
developments of future EarMaster versions:
http://www.kickstarter.com/

Basically kickstarter works like this:
The i-net community takes up the role as a publisher;
you present them, what you are planning to do end try to
make them go in complete pre-financing of your project.
For that you give insights in the project and say how much
money you need to realize it.
The users will see it and who is convinced of your project
will contribute as much as he likes to the sum, and if enough
people do the same, than the sum will come together and
your project is pre-financed by the i-net crowd.
At the same time this is a great promotion or advertisement
approach for your future product.

If you ask me, the future are such free selling models regarding
immaterial goods... not fighting and restricting the online community
and free flow of cultural goods and information, but working with
their potentials constructively and openly...

Thirdly I'd like to point out, that this thread is a great approach
for working with the community, but it could be even better.
Imagine every logged-in user has 3 points to give in the scope
of a suggestion box.
The suggestion box works like a sub forum or this thread, but
the users have the opportunity to give suggestions one of their
3 points. Because users only have 3 points, they will only give their
precious points to the best suggestions in their opinion.
Additionally the suggestions are boiled down to an essence by
the necessity to create a title for one suggestion.
So, with such a suggestion box you qualify the input; you
see what the community wants the most and considers to be
the best suggestions for future EarMaster versions...

Greetings,
Flanger

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Sep 24, 2012 2:21 am

Hi Flanger,

Thank you very much for your input.

Since the very start, we have been listening to what EarMaster users (and also people who were not using it) had to say about how we could improve the program. The next outcome of that will be EarMaster 6, which will basically bring many of the 'most-wanted' features that musicians and teachers have asked for. Any idea that we think would be a step forward towards making an even greater ear trainer are carefully written down and added to our to-do list.

In the near future, we will develop the community participation even further with new community tools on the website, including a new feature voting system similar to what you described. We have one already on www.bandloot.com.

As for the piracy/donation question, it's a very large subject, rather unclear because it's a new conception of how a software business model may be run, and most of all it tends to get people's feelings out (like those meaningless fan-boy wars on forums). It seems like we are in a music and software market mutation period, but it's still quite uncertain how things will go.

manojtc
Ear training freshman

New Icon

Post by manojtc » Oct 04, 2012 12:20 am

The ear icon on my desktop used to gross out many of my friends. It was kinda creepy to me too. Now I've changed the shortcut icon to something else. But I wish EarMaster didn't show that ear picture too much.

Minnesota_Ray
Ear training apprentice

Pitch ranges in Interval Training Tutor

Post by Minnesota_Ray » Nov 17, 2012 11:32 am

I have just started some interval exercises using the Standard Tutor in Earmaster 6. I think (based on a limited sample) that the pitch range is being restricted to the vocal range I indicated in my personal profile. (Nothing like this happened in Earmaster 5.) This "feature" may be intentional as a learning aid, since it may be easier to recognize pitches in ones own vocal range. However, in the ear training classes I have take, we had to be able to recognize pitches in a much wider range than we could sing. I think there should be an easy way (without going into custom settings) to turn off this feature in the tutors.

Hans
EarMaster.com

Post by Hans » Nov 20, 2012 5:24 am

In the singing exercises and in Interval identification and Melodic dictation, EarMaster adapts the pitch range to your vocal range, because you learn better when you can actually sing the pitches. However, in Chords, Scales and Interval comparison, it does not adapt to your voice.

If you would like interval drills with another pitch range, you can either set the vocal range in your user profile to the range you want to practice, or you can simply use customized exercise.

Best regards,
Hans Jakobsen
EarMaster

Jamie Lang
Ear training rookie

Post by Jamie Lang » Nov 20, 2012 10:35 am

Just intonation.

Doing ear training to a piano was once the only viable way...notice how SO many of the greats came from choral backgrounds? There's no reason the app can't dynamically tune the intervals correctly rather than playing notes of equal temperament instruments.

I wonder how many being confused by specific harmonic intervals and chords would be less so presented in pure tuning?

You know-it's a wishlist...which I assume predated the release...so, I guess that would be one for the EM7 wishlist. Or...6.1 ? ;)

Ramziel
Ear training freshman

Post by Ramziel » Feb 02, 2013 10:04 am

No Russian languge in 6th version? And you discontinued version 5, which had such a great translation? You could at least use old translation for features that remained the same and leave English for new features.
Son, I am disappoint.

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Re: EM6 Wishlist

Post by Quentin » Feb 28, 2014 2:56 am

Hi,

EarMaster 6 is now in Russian, and translated by the same person as version 5.
Cheers,
Quentin

KostaC
Ear training master

Re: EM6 Wishlist

Post by KostaC » Mar 07, 2014 4:11 pm

Hello,

It is nice to see how EM 6 improves constantly. However, there is one crutial thing that misses in the chord progression activity. The deep bass tone is always the tonic. In real harmony we have the base tone in all inversions. It can be the third, the fifth, the seventh etc... I hope you will agree. Thanks, and keep up the good work.