Interval recognition & chord inversion identification

Discuss EarMaster, ear training, theory or music in general, ask questions and share your experience.

Moderator: Quentin

kehammel
Ear training rookie

Interval recognition & chord inversion identification

Post by kehammel » Apr 27, 2016 2:48 pm

As a beginner at this, I sometimes hear the octave of a particular note in a harmonic interval or chord incorrectly. For example, A and the E above it are played simultaneously, and I mistakenly choose "4th" as the interval because I think I'm hearing A and the E below it. Then, when Earmaster tells me that's the wrong answer, I want to replay the correct version and my answer to compare them and learn from that. However, in replaying my wrong answer, Earmaster sounds A and the D above it as the 4th, which is not the mistake I was making.

The same problem comes up in the chord inversion identifications. Suppose I pick root position for a C major triad played harmonically when the correct answer is first inversion, and then I want to compare the correct answer with my wrong one. Naturally I want to hear the C major triads in root position and first inversion when I listen afterwards to the correct answer and my answer. I don't want to hear an E major triad in root position when I ask the program to replay my answer, but that's what it does.

The whole process appears to be inflexibly anchored to the bottom note in the interval or triad, unless there's a way I haven't found yet to change it in the settings. Does anyone know of a fix for this?

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Re: Interval recognition & chord inversion identification

Post by Quentin » Apr 28, 2016 1:45 am

Hi

Thank you for your feedback.

For the Interval exercise, you will need to enter the tones manually using the staff, piano, guitar, or solfege/functional keyboard instead of the multiple-choice buttons, so that EarMaster understands what you meant to enter as your answer. Multiple-choice only allows one interpretation of the user's answer, and it will automatically pick the most probable mistake.

In the Chord Inversions exercise, you are not asked to identify the position of a same chord (e.g. C root / C 1st Inv / C2nd Inv), but instead to determine whether the voicing of the chord you hear is a Major chord in root position, a Majord chord in 1st inversion, or a Major chord in 2nd inversion. All these chords share the same bottom tones, so they will be positions of different chords. Therefore you need to listen to the relation of the notes between them to find out what position is played.
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -